Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Harry Potter and the half baked plot

Finished the sixth harry potter book today
or what you might call a book
i thought it was an eight hundred page prequel to book 7

She pulls in all threads from the past 5 books.. sets a hurtling pace.. and then bang.. she .. uhm.. stops...

so there you go.. big things will happen in book 7. this one is just a teaser.

And its got romance, death, revenge, truth, mystique, and a quidditch match

[spoilers follow]

but her heart doesnt seem to have been in it. Romance is cursory - they yell for about eight pages on the pros and cons of snogging and devote two lines to pulsing hearts and thats that. Death is another two words. Perhaps she was too excited by book 7 to devote enough attention to the building up of suspense.. For a major part, the book reads like a log or recording of facts.

She's said elsewhere that this was the first book she wrote.. sure looks like it! the basic plot is there but without too much development. Everything from the dreaded inferii to rosmerta's curse to the felix felicis is dealt with cursorily. With the same tired words reciting these things. The plot has been formulated, but the book has not been written.

She's also tried to squeeze in too much. So unlike the previous books, there are twenty different mini climaxes, fights, matches, deaths, curses, romances put in. but in the end it still sounds more like a grocery list and less like a book.

Potter himself puts it best when he says in the end that he wasn't hurting as much as he did when Sirius died. Neither did we. I remember how heart wrenching it was when Sirius died. I threw aside Book 5 and refused to read it again so that i could go on pretending that Sirius lives.

This is not the same thing..

[spoilers done]

All in all, read if you're a potter addict. If you've just woken up to the phenomenon, then give this a miss (and do tell us which planet you're from btw...)

13 comments:

Sujith said...

haven't got the seventh wonder yet? HP and the HBP.. :-)

Anonymous said...

i totally agree! :)

FSN 3.0 said...

From Middle Earth [Or middle of the earth] where LOTR RULEZ baby.

Ganesh APP said...

Harry potter always had a half baked plot. For instance in the forth book our man moody makes harry enter the triwizard competiton and then helps him out each time and then finally curses two chaps and then also makes the triwizard cup a port key. Instead he should have made one of the butter beers he gave harry a port key.. matter solved in 200 pages.

And very hilarious take on the book..keep blogging. Actually I need to talk to you regarding the phoenix magazine. Some palns on having ur article up there. How do i get in touch with u?

Suze said...

sagaro.. mail me.. s.sujatha@gmail.com or 5ssujatha@iimahd.ernet.in

Anonymous said...

hey i def resent the comment..ur last line hmphph..well mars sure feels great nevertheless!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi suze This is saba here. I came here through . http://indibloggers.blogspot.com/ I hope you don’t mind me ‘spamming ‘your comment box!!! Here is a little piece of information regarding an exciting new concept – blogging awards. You can visit my page for the curtain raiser .we require participation & inputs from all spheres of the blog world. Your participation would help us in providing variety as well as quality to our blogging awards – THE BLOGERRATTI . please visit my page and lend in your valuable support . http://levelhead.rediffblogs.com/

Suze said...

hey prashant.. i know i came up with that one myself :) but its pretty obvious ain't it.. lolz..

so much for creative genius :p

The Man Who Wasnt There said...

I am from Earth(atleast as I can infer from what my parents told me..) and yes I think Harry Potter mania is a mass hypnosis initiated by Rowling. Yes I have read(rather survived) the first book. No I did not complete it. Yes I have a certain taste in books. No I am not being snobbish. Yes I think Rowling is a poor writer. Yes I have read Lord Of The Rings. Yes I think that is a whole different thing altogether and cannot be compared to HP. Yes I am glad it cannot be compared. No I didnt find LOTR as bad as HP. Yes I found HP egregious and insulting to my intelligence. Yes it exists. Yes it might sound snobbish. Yes you didnt ask for my hallowed opinion.Yes all you asked was from which planet I am. Yes I am from Earth (atleast as I can infer.......

Anonymous said...

Hello! I read your HBP review before I read the book. And after I did the book I thought I'd write my first review. Vaguely (very) my review is in response to yours. Not that my review - http://spaces.msn.com/members/arguswolverine/Blog/cns!1pCEivrvvo3SEPq_LniGPa0w!118.entry - has anything to do with yours. Just that maybe your review goaded mine out of me.
So thanks. :)

V said...

arseholes on campus got their spoilers across even b4 i got the book x-(

Suze said...

oooh
how awful.. :)
i let it slip by mistake last night.. figured that by then everyone would be done

S said...

second your opinion!! it wasn't too bad but some parts were downrite awful!! nice review though..!!