Friday, November 17, 2006

Older..! Wiser..?

When I was 8 years old, I had life all figured out. I knew how the planets revolved around the sun, I knew how to ride a bicycle and, from a reading of an abridged version of Swiss Family Robinson, was quite convinced I could survive on a desert island. I was convinced I was going to be an architect, and often built Lego houses with an elaborate bathtub in the drawing room.

By high school, this had changed to an engineer who was drawing pictures of the internal combustion engine and learning organic chemistry. I had a definite ten year plan - to finish college, do a postgraduate degree, get married, settle down, had decided what color my sofas should be and where we'd vacation for the summer.

As I turned 23 I realize that growing older doesn't necessarily mean I have all the answers.
Or any of them.

I haven't figured out a career, haven't settled down, Hell! I haven't figured out how to change a tyre. My best laid plans have often been turned upside down in 12.8 seconds and I have absolutely no idea where I'd be spending my next birthday. As I see dear friends around me get engaged and pick home furnishings, I realize I have a long way to go before I really 'find' myself.

If the past twenty three years have been anything to go by however, the journey is as exciting as any destination would be.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

:-) i was certain i wanted to be mickey mouse!

gP said...

the destination varies, the journeys are the same carried out with passion and energy. Wish you a great journey!

It makes us Wiser that is.

Nowhere Man said...

joy of life is in its unpredictability and we always try to kill it by planning everything and trying to sort things out.

atleast thats how i see it.

Saraansh said...

A navy man...is what I wanted to be...dressed in respledent whites...and hopefully a watery grave would have capped the voyage off purrfectly... :-)

S said...

Happy Budday! :) Rock on!

Sunny said...

Happy B'day!

Btw... '12.8' seconds?

Anonymous said...

hi, like ur blog u have a reader all time keep writing gr8 work.

Nishant said...

hey suze, happy B'DAY!
your blog is great. I've become its regular reader.
keep up the gud work..

nobody said...

True...Its a never ending fight..
Nice blog.

Barath said...

so high school dreams dont come true??!

mayb u shldnt think ahead... rather think for the moment! nd evrythin else wuld fall in place... (hopefully! ;)

Vishesh said...

12.8 sec??
gone in 12.8 sec.....
how did u arrive at 12.8sec??
maybe i shld watch out not blow up mine....
though i nvere figured out life at 8 nor have i now..