Sunday, May 29, 2005

Standstill Shopping, Spelt Sadly (10,8)

aka Stationery Shopping

Image hosted by Photobucket.com I finally got around to shopping and went to Landmark at Spencers for a fun filled morning. Spent a couple of hours picking out fresh notebooks, pads, pens, pencils, shiny new erasers in colorful holders, files, folders. All bright and beautiful.

Yes, dear reader, you've stumbled on the skeleton in my cupboard.. i have a secret love for stationery. I get a kick outta post-its and glue gets me high. It's something about the newness and the immense possibilties. I think i associate it with school and growing up when new books and new samsonite backpacks meant a new school year. And new hopes and ideas and the excitement!

And now i have all new fresh staplers and punching machines and it's finally sinking in that in three weeks time i'm going to be living away from home.

Yet, I hate change. Ever since i can remember the prospect of things changing horrified me more than anything on earth. Even if its a good thing, i still would prefer things just the way they are. The new Hindu for example, did not go down well with moi :)

I hate waking up one morning and discovering they don't make my breakfast cereal no more. And i won't allow them to paint my room a different color. Living away from home for the first time in my life is going to be hard. I'd miss coming home each day and sitting on the kitchen counter (yes i still do that, no it does not break, no you may not make a fatjoke) and telling my mom about my day.

I'd miss talking to my sis for hours. I'd miss the scrabble games and cards. I'd miss my dad's good morning kisses. But, i do hope to have what seniors have promised is "an experience of a lifetime". And with that i'm done with this particular rant.

We had our formal fachcha meet at chennai today. A few hours of intros and getting to know more about the college while our seniors tried to get to know us. Almost everyone plays the guitar and wants a "good" salary at the end of two years. What is good? Almost no one could quantify that. And all the seniors warned us of sleepless nights ahead...

Goodnight from one very sleepy sue

7 comments:

Sidharth said...

Looks like you are in for some really hard work at A...something you probably dint have to do much at SVCE ;)

Suze said...

grin.
yknow sid, i hope so.
it doesn't sound that awful right now. :)

exciting, that's what it is :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Suze!

ATB at A! So this is going to be your first time away from home?? Hmmm.. well wish you double luck in that case!! :-)

regards,
Praveen

PS: Don't forget to carry homemade pickles n other stuff from home! ;-) (past experience)[grin]

akshay said...

hey.. when are u shipping off? I'm in delhi actually and have been for the past week or so.. it's bloody hot here! sigh! Got to stay a week more... slitcha the frustrating.

satosphere said...

Ah. So stationery is your hidden love?

Anyway, dont worry - you will definitely have fun at IIMA.
Atleast you can go home whenever you want to...

Anonymous said...

Hey Sleepy Sue,

It's not a good thing to hate change. You should change from that mode of thinking. Read 'Who moved my Cheese' (if u havn't read already). I have mixed opinions about that book. Sometimes I feel it's total crap, sometimes it sounds good.

Saraansh said...

Stationary??Hidden love??Sue, somebody needs to have a word with you about prioritising things :-)
Actually I don't blame you;I have a manic obsession for my bathroom and will not let anybody use it even if I am away from home :-)
(especially my mum and sis!!noooooooooooooooooooo!!)